Thursday, January 28, 2010

XX and The Temple

The XX 

I just wanted to share that the soundtrack to my trip so far has been The XX.  They’re from London and what I would classify as Moby meets indie.  Thumbs up to Carli for recommending them, as well as the Floating market.  And an extra thumbs down to Cindy for recommending the Ping Pong show.  Although I’m sure Sebastien loves you for it!

053 008

Here’s a photo of the washroom in Secret Garden off Khao San.  It has a minimal style which I really like and is hard to find in Thailand.  Well for my budget anyways.

One of my favorite things to do lately is to find a quiet place in a corner somewhere to study my camera functions and take practice shots.  This is at Starbucks where  I’m practicing the self timer function.

006 011

 

More of my Starbucks shots.

 050

Thai people are so friendly.  They will so willingly pose for your photos.  This guy was selling faux tattoo arm sleeves.  Tattoo culture is pretty big out here in Thailand.  However, the traditional thai women will not get them unless they are street workers.

063 064

This is my friend Paulo.  He is a photographer/D.J./ Promoter.   We had a lovely photo date, as he took me through local Thailand.  We went to the temple, the night market, and then believe it or not the German Beer Garden where the locals hang out.

072 073

Two of my favorite temple shots so far.  I especially like the two of the monks.  Interesting tidbit about monks – is that they are not allowed to touch women.  So in Bangkok you have to take special care not to accidently touch them.  The monk that did Angelina Jolie’s tattoo is actually not a practicing monk anymore which is why he was able to tattoo her.  He now no longer tattoos people anymore but has 4 apprentices that work under him.

 

086

Here’s a shot taken with Paolo’s wide angle lens.  Which I liked using a lot.  It’s too bad that it is just a little bit blurry.  Funny thing about temples is that if you are Thai you get to access the temples for free but if you are a tourist you have to pay.  Because I look enough like a Thai, I was able to enter this one for free and I was with a local.  I did go to see the reclining buddha today, but for some reason, I felt wrong cheating the system….

118

I have no idea what this beautiful lit up structure is.  I think it’s the grand palace.  But this was the view from where we went for drinks.

110

Here’s Paulo with 2 vinyls he bought from the market.

132

This I found particularly funny.  You know you are in an Asian bar when …  There is a sink for vomitting.  With a flush and everything!

130

The cool thing about this beer garden we went to was that they served beer by the litre.  Good german beer by the way but also the live traditional thai acts performed on stage. 

134

139

Here’s the dance floor.  All Thais!

154

164

Here’s a tattoo artist close to my hotel who took off his shirt for my photograph while he was smoking without me even asking.

165

Very cool!