Sunday, January 24, 2010

happy begending

003 001

 

So my travels with Sebastien and I’s trip as a unit are over, and the beginning of my solo trip has begun.  I am just overcome with gratitude that Seb is so supportive.  I cherish our time together, and am so glad we had the opportunity to create those special moments together.  If anything this experience has unveiled that we worry about so many trivial things on a day to day basis. 

The above photos were taken at Fotofile by the owner of the photo shop in MBK – Thailand’s renowned shopping centre.  The selection was dazzling, if you go, you must be prepared to commit to spending time there. 

Did I mention that I had lost my brand new camera that I had bought on this trip?  It was an Olympus Tough 4000, basically an amazing camera that will survive anything and everything… except getting lost!  But you know it was a blessing in disguise – I ended up purchasing a camera that I am so in love with the Canon 1000D.  It’s so light that it weighs about 1.3 lbs, so it’s easy to carry.  I basically devoured the manual today.  You may be seeing some difference in the photos posted here.

Places Phyllis stays at when she’s travelling with Sebastien

007

 

Here’s the view from the hotel we stayed at for our last night – The Sakurn Grace which is in the Sukamwit.  It was a splurge, but totally worth it.  It’s a boutique hotel, with a pool, a gym and hot water.  It’s far from the backpacking area, but we chose it because it was close to the mall.

 

019

 

The only gym I’ve been to since I arrived in Thailand.  Working out on the top of a building is underrated.

Places Phyllis stays when she’s travelling alone

037

This is the place I checked into after Sebastien left!

Welcome to my humble abode.  This is the Taewez House, a nice clean guest house just a fifteen minute walk away from Kho Saon and they even have free wi fi! The only problem is that the cab drivers usually have no idea where it is, so we spend time calling the front desk, even though there’s a map on the back of the card I always carry.  The bonus though is that it only costs $250 THB which is the equivalent of about $8. 

I spent most of my first day alone, and  settling in.  At night, I met up with a friend, Joeki who was introduced to me via facebook friend suggestion (go figure) through my buddy, Steve G.  We hit up club 808, and I actually got to see Diplo play a wicked set well minus the hip hop.  

047

Street Graffiti on my walk to Khao San Road. 

048

Workers walking on little pipes and ledges to get around the building.

044

Tuk Tuk’s and Taxi’s

 

051

I love used bookstores.  The more cluttered they are, the more treasures they usually have.  I have been having the most difficult time tracking down the suggested reading for my teacher training.   I’ve been to at least ten bookstores, new and used, and I got nuthin’.  I guess Yoga is not a huge topic of interest in these parts.

 

053

 

Today I finally got myself to go down and get me a visa to enter Vietnam.  For some reason, I am getting antsy to leave the busyness and chaos that is Bangkok.  And then when I got to the Visa, I was kicking myself – damn it – I have to wait 3 business days?  But I want to leave now!

Anyway, it was alright – I made a new friend who is staying at the Secret Garden.  Aba is a 56 year old Israeli guy who is well connected with the guest house.  He has been travelling for over 20 years, and he had all kinds of fabulous advice for a newbie like me.  I am seriously considering moving over to the Secret Garden, it’s a really cool spot with tonnes of great chill areas.