Monday, February 1, 2010

The Floating Market

First Stop: The “Coconut Factory” 

So I decided to book a solo tour to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market which is about an hour and a half drive outside of Bangkok.  The Lonely Planet tells you that you should go and stay overnight, to catch the real authentic market at 6 AM in the market but after 5-6 days in Bangkok, I was already pretty shopped out.  I only really wanted to go for the photo opps and the 2 hours was enough for me.  They do end up selling all the same touristy souvenirs anyway…

 

075

Japanese Girls at the market

102

Amazing Food

103

The Vendors

121

Snake Charmer

138

Me and my new Israeli Friends

All in all I have to say I am having a wonderful time.  It took a little bit to transition me out of the shell I had when I was initially travelling alone.  But I met a few really cool people and have felt really safe.